Pages

Tuesday 8 March 2016

Too Late

"You remind me of myself when I was a few years younger" the old man said as he laughed and sat down. He then sighed out loud and looked up at the young man who just offered his seat to him. 
I have a love/hate relationship with the tube. On one hand I love being lost in my trail of thought, also the fact I avoid traffic and save sooooo much time helps too. But I hate the horrid odour that oozes off of bodies screaming 'shower me', or the sudden blast you're hit with when someone on a packed train feels it's an appropriate time to let out some gas. I hate the heat in the tube during the summer and being forced to stand underneath a sweaty armpit when it's packed. Nice. 
Today the tube was packed but not too packed and I love our lovely custom of offering our seats up to the elderly or the pregnant. Gives me hope for humanity.
So this strapping blonde young man got up for this elderly man to sit down, after their funny exchange of dialogue the old man just started at him. Then he looked away. I saw pain in his eyes. And without saying a word to me I felt like I could understand what was wrong. He would look down and then sneak a look at the young man and then look down again. He inspired me to write this. I may be wrong but that's the beauty with perception I'm entitled to one.


No comments:

Post a Comment